If you smell smoke or see fire:
- Call 9-1-1. Calmly relay the nature of the emergency as you observe it and answer all questions from the operator. Do not hang up until instructed to do so.
- If time permits, call the campus Facilities department and to relay both the situation, and that you have called 9-1-1.
- If possible, close all doors leading to the fire. This will assist to confine the fire until emergency personnel arrives.
- Follow the Building or Campus Evacuation Procedure.
If your clothes are on fire:
- STOP wherever you are.
- DROP to the floor that is unobstructed.
- ROLL repeatedly to extinguish the flames.
If you are in a smoke-filled area:
- Kneel on the floor and stay as low as possible.
- Take short breaths through your nose.
- Crawl to the nearest exit.
- Feel all doors before opening:
- If the door(s) are hot, DO NOT OPEN.
- If the door(s) are cool, open slowly and stay behind the door.
- If heat or pressure begins to come through the door(s), close immediately and tightly.