Funding your graduate education can be expensive. As U.S. employment opportunities for international students are limited, it is important to consider how you will pay for your education before you arrive in the United States.

Additionally, the Department of Homeland Security requires that all F-1 students be able to show proof of funding before they can be issued an I-20.

The following is a list of possible sources of funding for you to consider:

  • Personal or family funds
  • Funding from your government
  • Scholarships and Fellowships
  • Loans (from your country or U.S.-based)
  • Institutional Aid
    • Faculty and Teaching Assistantships: The Chicago School does offer some teaching and faculty assistantships (FA/TAs) and other hourly jobs; however, such opportunities for international students are currently limited. Many of the jobs on campus, including FA/TAs, are funded with money from the federal government (federal work study), which are earmarked for U.S. citizens. As such, although you may be able to secure a non-federal work study funded job, it is not a good idea to count on on-campus employment as a means of long term funding for your studies.


Students are encouraged to view the 'Financial Information - International Students' page under the Admissions section of your campus-specific website and the Financial Requirements page for more information about Financial Aid.