Currently, Dr. Sheets is a member of the Executive Commitee for the National Council of Schools and Programs of Professional Psychology (NCSPP) and serves as Secretary/Treasurer. As part of her NCSPP EC duties, she also serves as the NCSPP liason to the Association of State and Provincial Liscensing Boards. Dr. Sheets was the past President of the Association of Chicagoland Externship and Practicum Training, the largest independent training organization in the Midwest. Dr. Sheets has served on various grant governance boards and advisory boards. She previously served on Illinois Psychological Association’s Internship Advisory Board. She has worked on bylaw revision, member recruitment and fundraising and advancement issues.
- Sheets, H.D, Ruhnke, E., & Meyers, M. (2013, January). Supervision and Clinical Training: How Many People are in the Room? Poster presentation at NCSPP 2013 Mid-Winter Conference, Nassau, Bahamas.
- Sheets, H.D. (January 2013). Advocacy, Mutuality, and Evaluation in the context of competency development in the relationship domain. National Council of Schools and Programs of Professional Psychology. Nassau, Bahamas.
- Sheets, H.D. and Kim, E. (2012, April). Evaluating the quality of practicum training: A proposed Site Visit Rubric Poster Presentation at APPIC 2012 Conference and Membership Meeting, Tempe, AZ.
- Sheets, H.D. (2011, October). How Do We Know What Our Students Know? Presentation at Adler School of Professional Psychology, Chicago, IL.
- Sheets, H.D. (2011, September). State of Illinois Budget Cuts Impact on Mental Health Radio Interview on WGN-Radio, Chicago, IL.
- Sheets, H.D. (2009, July). Psychological Implications for Advertising. Presentation at JWT, New York, NY.
- Sheets, H.D (2008, October). Alcohol and Its Impact on a Campus. Presentation at Big 10 Counseling Center Conferende, Evanston, IL.
- Sheets, H.D. (2007, April). Alcohol, Students, and Behavioral Consequences. Presentation at Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.
- Sheets, H.D. (2007, January). Alcohol, Students, and Behavioral Consequences. Presentation at Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO.
- Sheets, H. D.& Dunkle, J.D. (2007, December). Alcohol, Students, and Behavioral Consequences. Presentation at DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois.
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American Psychological Association, Division 7 Member
- Delegate, National Council of Schools and Programs of Professional Psychology
Q: Please describe your teaching philosophy.
A: Personally, I view learning as a lifelong endeavor, as an instructor I have learned many, many things from my students that have informed my understanding of how they experience my delivery format, corrective feedback, and their integration of theory to practice. I have also been exposed to divergent thinking and worldviews of my students, which has greatly enhanced my own understanding of difference and privilege. In the classroom environment, I view learning as an extension of a practitioner scholar method. I feel it is essential to increase my students’ understanding of the field of psychology by using scholarship and theory to inform their practice of the science of psychology. I attempt to blend theory and practice in my lectures, discussion posts, and corrective feedback provided to students in both on ground and online formats
Q: What advice would you give a student entering The Chicago School of Professional Psychology?
A:Take advantage of every opportunity you get! There is a learning moment in every situation we have, even if it’s a difficult one.