What is Marital and Family Therapy?
At The Chicago School, we define Marital and Family Therapy as the field of psychotherapy aimed at treating individuals, couples and families within a relational context.
History of Marital and Family Therapy at The Chicago School
At The Chicago School, we train marriage and family therapists (MFTs) to provide counseling services to individuals, couples and families in need. As mental health service providers, marriage and family therapists work within the context of the relational system to address a variety of mental, emotional and relational issues. In addition to this, MFT’s may provide programs for relational enrichment, premarital preparation, and parent education. , MFT’s work in a variety of settings including public and private mental health agencies; substance abuse treatment centers; school counseling programs; in-patient and out-patient psychiatric facilities and private practice.
Degrees in Marital and Family Therapy offered at The Chicago School
Our Marital and Family Therapy programs are available in many degree formats.
Counseling Psychology Programs & Concentrations
- M.A. in Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization – Irvine, CA
- M.A. in Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization – Los Angeles, CA
- M.A. in Clinical Psychology, Marital & Family Specialization, Applied Behavior Analysis Track – Los Angeles, CA
- M.A. in Clinical Psychology, Marital & Family Specialization, Applied Behavior Analysis Track – San Diego
- Psy.D. in Marital and Family Therapy, Post-Bachelor’s – Irvine, CA
- Psy.D. in Marital and Family Therapy, Post-Master’s – Irvine, CA
- Psy.D. in Marital and Family Therapy, Post-Bachelor’s – Los Angeles, CA
- Psy.D. in Marital and Family Therapy, Post Master’s – Los Angeles, CA
Careers in Marital and Family Therapy
The Chicago School’s Marital and Family Therapy Masters program equips graduates with the skills and knowledge required for licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist. Our Doctoral MFT programs also prepare graduates to assume leadership positions in the mental health field and to teach in higher education.
Public and Private Sector Employers:
- Hospitals & Community-Based Clinics
- Substance Abuse Treatment Centers
- Mental Health Centers
- Social Service Agencies
- Private Practice
- Higher Education
Marriage and Family Therapy Job Titles:
- Marriage and Family Therapist
- Marriage and Family Counselor
- Mental Health Counselor
- Clinical Director
- Grant Writer
- Senior Administrator